Monday, February 13, 2012

ABSURD interview: Iain Rob Wright

Iain blasted onto the scene recently with one of the coolest little mystery/horror novels I've read in years, THE FINAL WINTER. An apocalyptic tale about strangers trapped in a pub during a blizzard only to find out that no one is who they seem. One's a murderer, one's a rapist, and one is wanted by the evil cloaked figures stalking around outside in the snow with large demon dogs. His second novel, ANIMAL KINGDOM pits the world's animals against humans in a battle royale, but in true Wright form, we find out that not everyone is who they claim to be. It blew my mind and I knew I had to get inside Wright's head to find out what makes him come up with such fantastic stories.

RCT: You have a great knack for leaving every chapter ending on a cliffhanger of some sort. How’d you develop that technique?

IRW: I guess it’s comes from my love of serial dramas on TV like Lost, Prison Break, The Event, Daybreak, Flashforward, Angel, Jericho, and other great cliff-hanger shows.  I love the suspense of a big reveal every episode that would give you a little piece of the larger story.  I wanted to try and replicate that enjoyment on the page through my novels.  Hopefully I succeeded.

RCT.  Choose a deodorant to wear and explain why: Cat Fart Bliss or Dog Breath Inspiration


IRW: Dog Breath Inspiration.  With two dogs, I am already used to this smell and in fact have come to quite enjoy it.


RCT: You’re novel The Final Winter is undoubtedly British. I loved it, and in part because us Yanks have a small fascination with your culture--the pubs, the slang, the castles, etc.  Is there a difference between American and British Horror? And if so, do you use it to your advantage?

IWR: I think American horror is more diverse (much like the vast country itself), whereas English horror is very claustrophobic and distinct.  While American horror novels can be set on the beach, mountains, desert, forest, sea, and many other places, English horror novels have the luxury of drawing on a very long, varied history stretching back centuries and centuries.  I think it is that, spooky castles, ancient evils, and secret societies that makes British horror great for mystery and suspense.  I think Americans probably like it because our culture is very similar to yours, yet different enough to interest.

RCT: Your trapped on a desert island with a talking pancake, a dragon that likes to have sex with cars, and a dancing mouse. Which do you take with you on the rescue ship?

IRW: Dancing mouse.  I am a friend of the rodents.

RCT: What was the impetus for having all the world’s animals attack in your novel, Animal Kingdom? What would you do if your own pets turned evil?

IRW: I guess I wanted to destroy the world in a way that hasn’t been done before.  I was a bit tired of zombies, to be honest.  I think my own pets already are evil.  The other day they ate my wall!  They actually decided to just goddamn eat the wall of my house and now I have a big hole in my hallway.

RCT: Complete this sentence: I had to get butter on the toast, Officer, otherwise the pelican would have_____________

IRW: …arrested Julia Roberts

RCT: Who do you read for inspiration?

IRW: I grew up with Stephen King and James Herbert, then moved on to Richard Laymon, before becoming addicted to the works of Brian Keene, Scott Sigler, J F Gonzalez, Jeff Strand, and pretty much anything Permuted Press release.  Lately I have been reading a lot of Dean Koontz.

RCT: What’s your approach to dialogue?

IRW: I struggle to be honest.  I have been accused of using too many Americanisms in my work, and this would likely be because all my favourite authors and my favourite films are typically American.  I tried to rectify this with my latest release ASBO which is very British.  When I am writing dialogue, I just try to be realistic, while being colourful enough to make characters stand out – it’s a balancing act.

RCT: Bee Man is angry and wielding a katana at your front door. You can calm him down by offering him a gift, something from the room you’re standing in. It must be green and have holes in it. Quick, what do you give him!?

IRW: I give him a blue lampshade with sequins.  He was just testing me…

RCT: You’ve now got The Final Winter, Animal Kingdom, and ASBO out as novels. What are you working on next? What can we expect to see from you in the future?

 IRW: I have book 1 of a novella series based on a short story I once wrote, The Peeling of Samuel Lloyd Collins.  That should be out very soon.  Then I will be working on my next two novels; one features a virus aboard a cruise liner, and the other is about an exorcism with a breath taking twist.  NO publishers are currently onboard with either yet as I tend to sell my work upon completion, not before.  Either way, they should both be out this year.

Thanks, Iain 
Visit Iain's blog here: http://iainrobwright.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment